The debate about the superiority of SEO campaigns over Google Ads is one of the threads of the never-ending story of addictions and the interpenetration of marketing with ad formats. This controversy probably remembers the days of the first advertisements and the dawn of word of mouth.
In the modern world in which business has moved to the Internet, synergy is important, and the desired effect is achieved not by choosing the best solution, but by making the best use of the available marketing and advertising channels (order contextual advertising).
What do SEO and Google Ads have in common?
The common element for SEO and Google Ads is the result of the implemented actions. Both positioning and paid advertising are designed to help you reach the products or services that internet users are looking for. Of course, positioning and in fact its effectiveness is measured by the position in the list of Google search results for a specific query, but the idea is identical.
Google Ads positioning and ad campaigns should generate website traffic and increase sales. This is the core, the genesis of the creation and functioning of both services. At the same time, these are “just” their main goals, along with other less measurable but extremely important aspects. It is about creating a brand image, strengthening its awareness in the perception of a wide audience, as well as building trust.
We’ll come back to the aforementioned properties of SEO and Google Ads processes later in the relevant section of this article, highlighting here an effect that many – even industry experts – simply forget about. It is about creating a real competitive advantage through marketing and advertising activities. This does not always lead to profit, it is not always noticeable even to the untrained eye, but its importance is very significant.
By taking care of effective positioning and / or investing in improved and well-targeted search engine advertising, we expand and delineate our presence, which means that we automatically gain valuable space that our competitors cannot use.
What are the differences between SEO and Google Ads worth highlighting?
SEO and Google Ads, as befits marketing and advertising, differ significantly in the methods used. They have a common goal, but the effectiveness of its implementation is measured differently for each method. Moreover, they affect the recipient in different ways. While advertising works zero one, generates site visits for a certain amount and is ideal as a response to spontaneous seasonal trends, thanks to the ability to quickly activate SEO campaigns, converts in different ways.
Website positioning is evolving because effective performance over time leads to a systematic increase in traffic, and the cost of getting it decreases over time. SEO is also funded in a different way, and calculating cost per page doesn’t really matter when evaluating campaign performance.
There are more differences between the two, and they go well beyond funding specific activities or the time over which the desired results can be expected.
What aspects confirming the different implementation of positioning and advertising services should be indicated?
Let’s name a few of the most important of them:
- Search engine optimization does not allow for precise local actions, so Google ads can be customized very precisely, from country or province to specific address.
- SEO is an ongoing process and its effects are not affected by ad blockers, which can prevent ads from showing.
- One of the determining factors for SEO efficiency is proper technical website optimization – Google Ads can be successfully used without such interference with the website, but the implementation of optimization also positively affects their effectiveness, as it allows you to get a higher quality campaign result, which means , lower cost per click (cost of driving traffic).
- SEO is search engine marketing, and Google Ads is also displayed on mobile apps, platforms like YouTube, or websites owned by the Google Partner Network.
- SEO is based on key phrases, so it is difficult to talk about accurate targeting of a target group, while ads can be tailored to a specific audience by choosing their age, gender, interests and even the devices they use.
- In the case of SEO, changes to prioritized keywords are associated with changes to the entire structure of headings, meta tags, and even the structure of links on the page – Google ads can be freely edited, since this is a service that does not depend on the state of the advertiser’s site.
- In the case of SEO, the meta headlines should focus on the phrases that the subpage is positioning for – in Google Ads we have a lot more freedom to allow ourselves CTA elements like “Sale! Discounts up to -70% “.
What is the best orientation and why is it worth betting on synergy?
Companies that specialize in SEO campaign positioning and quality assurance, as well as multidimensional and complex approach to contracts, should not unequivocally refuse any form of communication and promotion. Analysis of multi-channel funnels, that is, one of the reports available in Google Analytics, clearly shows that these channels support each other. A customer who came to our site through “regular search results” did not complete the transaction on their first visit, but thanks to “paid search results” (remarketing), they returned to our store and made a purchase.
A customer who first came to us from the “search results”, who did not make a purchase on the first visit and found us after a while in the “regular search results”, already knew our store.
The above applies not only to SEO and Google Ads, but also to email marketing activities, marketplace activities, and more. When assessing the profitability of individual channels, it is often overlooked to analyze multi-channel paths, therefore – depending on the attribution model used in Google Analytics (linking a transaction to one of the channels; the most commonly used model is the last, indirect entry to the site) – it’s easy to get confused and make biased conclusions. Assuming, hypothetically, most of the transactions looked like users came to the store through regular search results, but did not complete the transaction on the first visit, but only when they returned to the site a second time.
The synergy between SEO and Google Ads not only allows you to generate traffic from the two most popular channels, but also creates a brand image, enhances its awareness among a wide audience and increases customer confidence. These are just complementary products that, as a result of cooperation, allow you to get excellent sales results, and you can get high-quality customization here.