As soon as YouTube was positioned – as a social network, messenger, video hosting. All this is generally true, but against the background of so many functions of the project, it is easy to forget that it has long become a powerful search engine.
This means that online promotion simply has to take into account current SEO trends. And in general, use search engine optimization tools to bring content to the top positions.
How to make videos, enable monetization in the system, follow its rules has already been written in a lot of materials. But few people took and structured the process of search engine optimization of YouTube materials. In the meantime, it is she who gives the fastest and most visible promotion results.
Seeding: what you need to understand
Why is SEO important in this case?
- The audience is developing the project. Their interests are constantly changing. What seems useful, interesting, developing to the author himself is not what is needed for rapid growth in positions on YouTube. It is necessary to focus not on internal feelings, but on specific statistics and tools (keys, structure of the video design, indicators of its duration). At least at first. When your own permanent audience is formed, and it works like word of mouth, you can set the agenda at your discretion.
- YouTube is getting smarter all the time. And although, unlike YATI Yandex, he does not even try to delve into the meaning of the queries yet, he makes the largest bet on everything that is entered in his search line. In the sense that the internal search engine has its own algorithm that places videos by rank. It must be used.
Search for trending topics
Question one: what to shoot a video about. Of course, someone comes here already having a content plan or a unique idea, a desire to tell the audience something.
But even in this case, it is necessary to see what this audience is interested in in a particular topic. Moreover, this does not require special tools and programs. You can use quite familiar familiar services (on sites, if the vlogger has been working on them before, for example):
- Google Trends will help you decide on the nearest topic (clarify the existing one);
- YouTube Keyword Tool is indispensable for tracking the frequency of words and controlling the relevance of the selected topic.
The meaning of the name
There is an opinion that the title of a video on YouTube is simply obliged to set it apart from competitors. There is some truth and logic in it: people do not like hundreds of the same video titles and always pay attention to interesting titles. But there are clarifications.
First, a lot depends on the topic. If this is a new way of cleaning the floor, there is no need to invent anything extravagant here, although there are already dozens of videos with the same name on the Web.
Second, the optimizer is heavily limited in phrase size. As a rule, he has at his disposal up to 10 words, which it is desirable to fit into a line. And it’s also good if they “fit” 2-3 long-tail keywords.
In pursuit of coverage within these constraints, it is better to opt for more banal wording than confusing definitions. The user should immediately understand what he will be told about (or what he will get from viewing).
Thirdly, you can build up literally in one word (new, unique, exclusive, reliable). Many people forget about this and in search of a catchy unique name literally destroy the coverage, appealing to the viewer’s fantasy and erudition, and not his logic.
Not everyone is ready to “turn on” imagination and erudition, wanting to have fun watching YouTube videos after a working day. Simplicity is the channel’s best friend here.
In addition, the internal crawler (search engine robot) should understand from the title what the text is about (preferably their first, not the last words of the title). Otherwise, all the delights will be in vain – the material simply will not catch the eyes of the audience.
Where to add keywords
As with the usual search engines, YouTube keywords help its crawler understand what the material is about. This is necessary to show the video to the right audience. Accordingly, video targeting depends on how accurately the topic is selected. And the depth of the scanner’s understanding of the target audience depends on where the keys are added.
All this means that you need to add key phrases wherever it can be done (this way the algorithm can better position the content):
- in the title (no spamming, this tool is primarily for people);
- description (here, contrary to prejudices, spam with keys is still quite effective, as it used to be in Google or Yandex, but who knows how quickly YouTube will start to “grow wiser”);
- subtitles (a very useful block for placing as many keys as possible, just do not forget that this module is designed to make viewing comfortable for people with hearing impairments and those who, for various reasons, cannot watch a video with sound);
- file name (many do not use this when downloading, but in vain, because the robot scans all alternative sources of information that it can read).
Tags can be used too, and they work for key phrases. But as practice shows, such a tool as a whole has little effect on the ranking, therefore it is necessary to pay attention to it, but without getting hung up on the wording. If the key doesn’t “get” nicely, it’s better to make a “human” tag.
Different audiences have different preferences for file length. Watching popular videos on similar topics will help a lot here. It is necessary to collect a selection of them in the amount of 100-150 materials and carry out a normal analysis in order to understand which duration “fits” the best for the audience. Somewhere it will be 3-5 minutes, somewhere – 30 minutes.
There is no optimum, but there is a field for experiments. This is the case when you need to determine your ideal rate through trial and research.
Working with YouTube tools
Finally, control of results is the main condition for effective search engine promotion. The interests of the public are constantly changing, as are the capabilities of software algorithms. At the disposal of a vlogger is only his experience and statistics on competitors.
All this must be used. Moreover, YouTube has enough control tools.
First of all, these are search filters, an internal YouTube Analytics service. A very handy tool is autocomplete. This is when the system responds to the first words in the search bar, suggesting relevant topics for new videos (if we talk about vlogging, of course, for the user this is an attempt to guess his question in order to quickly answer it).