Searching the internet … hmm, not really. Search on the site. How important is this tool? Let’s figure it out.
Suppose a user is looking for the material he needs on the site. Perhaps he knows exactly what he is looking for, or he just thinks he knows. This is very important because if a person cannot formulate a request clearly, then the search results will be empty. Well, a well-tuned search will help solve the user’s problem. What is meant by a good search – he knows how to:
- make suggestions by words;
- fix incorrect keyboard layout;
- correct spelling mistakes;
- correct typos;
- show similar options;
- knows synonyms for popular words;
- has the ability to select a section.
An advanced search will also help you formulate a more precise and narrowly targeted query.
Agree, if the search person did not find the product or informational article of interest to him the first time, then most likely the visitor will leave the site. Not everyone will want to look for the information they need in the wilds of pages.
Moreover, it is possible that the site has the necessary information, only the search could not understand what the user wanted from him. To prevent this from happening, it is better to carefully consider this issue. There are usually not many search options in the default search engine settings. Often there are the most primitive tools that are unlikely to help you set up your search correctly.
To make the search for a dream there is easily customizable Yandex.Search for a site…
Yandex. Search for the site: and what’s the point?
Search for the site appeared in 2015 and to this day helps to search for information not only throughout the Internet, but also specifically on user resources.
Site search itself works in a similar way to Internet search. The search engine indexes the resource and the search results are not the standard “from new to old”, as, for example, in the usual WordPress search (although you can customize that), but the most appropriate user request.
Also, flexible search settings will allow you to quickly recognize a query and show the most relevant results in the search results.
In addition to the technical part of the search, you can customize the visual design, choose the color of the frame, field, text, font size, etc. More on this below.
There are two search technologies. Specifically, a site search that suits information resources, and a search for online stores. Let’s start with the latter.
To put the search on the site, I created a test e-commerce store in WordPress in 10 minutes, filled it with products and added a few blog entries.
Next, we start installing the search.
To install it, in the appropriate window, enter a link to the search page, where the results will be displayed (create any one in the constructor).
Then we enter a link to the YML file with the product database.
To get this link, I installed the plugin for WordPress “Yml for Yandex Market”, followed by the button “Export Yandex Market” in the side menu of the console, in the settings there is a detailed instruction on how to create a YML file.
Click “save” and wait for a while while the directory is indexed.
In the side menu of the online store search settings, you can check the search before installing on the site, as well as your embed code on the site. We place the first code on the main page of the resource, the second on the page for search results.
On the main page, add the first code via widgets. “Appearance => Widgets”. I have a search in the sidebar, in this field and place the code.
Create a page for search results separately. Since I have a test site, there will be two searches, respectively, and there are also two pages for displaying results. I created the first one as “Search Results for an Online Store”.
Next, paste in our code and click “Save”.
After indexing, the products will appear in the search results. When clicking on “Buy”, the user will be redirected to the product card.
Below are the search results with different nuances.
And finally, search with the wrong layout:
All is ready! But if the issue design is not to your liking, you can get the API key on the developer’s page on the Yandex website and edit the search beyond recognition.
Who is this search not suitable for?
Online stores, the assortment of which is replenished / changed every day. Until the catalog is indexed, query searches may return out-of-date data.
With the search for shops sorted out. Let’s go back to the search for informational queries.
First, go to https://site.yandex.ru/searches/new/. Now you need to select a search name that only the administrator will see in the Yandex control panel. “Site search”, for example.
Next, we call Opensearch search. This technology allows any site containing search to be integrated into the browser’s search bar. I wrote “Search Geek Place”.
Below we select the type of filter for the search. This is content protection 18+.
Then we fill out the search area form – in it, you can designate the pages on which Yandex will search for results, as well as exceptions on the pages of which the search will not be carried out.
It is important to remember! To add a site to the form, it must be confirmed in the Webmaster.
And also an email address for notifications about changes in the search.
In the second step, we are greeted by visual settings. Here we select what font, size and color of the text will be displayed in the input area. It all depends on your sense of style, but don’t forget about the users. What is beautiful for us can cause pain for the user. Preview will help you avoid mistakes.
Remember that even after installing the search form on the site, you can go back to the settings and change whatever you want.
In the next paragraph, we choose a place to display the results and design the form for issuing requests.
There are two options: either we create a new page for the results, or the desired one will be displayed on the Yandex page. I recommend creating a separate page for the search results, so the user does not have to leave the site.
You can also specify the number of results on one page, select the default search sort, and the color and size of the font for the issue. Everything is intuitive and understandable.
If you decide to display the results on a page from Yandex, then you can customize the logo and footer.
After all the manipulations, be sure to use the preview function.
The next page will allow you to validate your form before installing the code on the site. Entering one word from the blog … it works!
Next – the most important thing, namely, the code for embedding into the site. We carefully look where we paste the code. It needs to be added to the home page and to the page where the results will be displayed (if you chose to display the results on your site page).
Check the box next to “Add CSS to result code”. This is done so that in the CMS itself you can edit CSS styles and completely change the search shell.
I installed the code in the right side column: for this, in the console I went to the “Appearance” tab, then “Widgets”, in the available ones I chose “HTML code”, gave it a name and inserted the search code itself. Everything is similar to what I did with the code for the online store.
Place the second code on the newly created page.
Go to “Pages-Add New”, give it a name, edit it as HTML, paste the code and save.
This is how the already installed searches on the site look:
Checking … it works!
In the search settings, you can add hints and synonyms so that the visitor, without typing the entire word, can select a word from the list. Or, if he enters a synonym for a word, then what he means will be displayed in the results.
These are all the steps for setting up Yandex.Search for a site. After all the steps, we recommend that you thoroughly test your search. We remind you that at any time all search settings are located at https://site.yandex.ru/searches/ – you can return to any step and change any preset of settings. Then you need to update the code of the search form on the site.
Pros and cons of Yandex. Search
- Flexible customization.
- Search setting not only from the technical part, but also from the visual one.
- Search area. Yandex.Search in the settings allows you to add any subdomains of the site, you just need to specify them in the appropriate window. Standard site search from WordPress can only search the current site and nothing more.
- Ranking of pages. For standard search, all results are equal, and it returns them by date of publication, while Ya Search gives results in order of ranking.
- You need to wait while Yandex indexes the pages. Up to this point, the results may not be relevant.
Let’s consider some:
- https://multisearch.io/ is the most popular paid search for a site. The developers call it “smart”. It can do everything the same as Yandex, but the setting is more flexible. Takes into account synonyms, morphology, spelling, simple language in queries “phone-mobile”, semantic meaning of queries.
- https://detectum.com/ru/ is a natural language search system using tabular parameters. The main advantage of Detectum is accounting for the structure of the online store catalog and the parameters of goods from the database.
- https://anyquery.diginetica.com/ is a tool to increase search conversion from Diginetica.
- http://sphinxsearch.com/ is a full-text search system from the American company Sphinx Technologies Inc. open source. The founder and developer of the system is Andrey Aksyonov. Distributed under the GNU General Public License v.2. Sphinx is one of the most powerful and fastest search engines. In February 2019, a meeting was held to discuss the future of Sphinx indices. You can read more and watch the video report on Habré: https://habr.com/ru/company/superjob/blog/453222/
- https://xapian.org/ – open source search engine library, distributed under the GPL license. Can be used with Perl, Python, PHP, Java, Tcl, C_Sharp, Ruby, Lua. Supports a search model based on probabilistic information, as well as a rich set of operators for logical queries.
- Google Site Search for a fee. It was closed in 2017. Rates were from $ 100 to $ 2000. The cheapest one provided for up to 20,000 requests, the most expensive up to 500,000. Now the search can be installed for free, but with non-disconnected advertising.
So we examined the search for the site from Yandex. Is it comfortable? Yes. Do you need it? It’s up to everyone to decide. There are richer paid analogs, but perhaps a regular search engine is enough for you. In any case, after spending very little time, you can customize the tool so that people will want to use it and will come back to you again and again.
In addition to the material, we recommend that you read our article on organizing a search on the site.
And if you do not know where to locate the search so that the user is not difficult to find it? We will be happy to help you. Convenient search!